Monday, February 16, 2009

Back in America

I can not believe that I have been home for over 3 months.  That seems so insane to type. I still remember packing my stuff to move across the world and it in no way feels like that was almost 2/1/2 years ago.  If this reminds me of anything it is how quickly time flies and how little time we really have.

One woman I met in Ethiopia changed my life forever.  The truth is I don't even remember her name.  I do remember her face, her heart, and the words she spoke to me.  We were working on a grain project to provide for families hurt by fires, and she was a woman in the community we drove to.  She came to my boss and I weeping holding her twin daughters.  They were tiny and so fragile. She looked weary and sad.  She spoke to us in the local language telling us, "Today I will choose which of my daughters must die.  I can not give enough milk for two children....I must choose today."  The despair in her voice....covering her face....pouring from her heart..sent shock waves through my heart.  It was as if my heart was weeping.  She did not wish to make this choice but rather had to.  She was devastated.  And though, by the Lord's grace, we were able to help her, the story shook me.  How many women in Ethiopia, in this world, were making this same choice today? How many filled with this kind of sorrow?  How many living with the reality of these choices and these sever hardships?

This day taught me something I thought I had already learned, but obviously had not.  It taught me how little I know about sacrifice. How little I value time.  How little I know about true hardship.  It radically changed my life and heart.  We should approach God's throne everyday with that kind of desperation.  We can not even breathe without HIM.  Our reverence for HIM, every ounce of our hope should rest in HIM.  And it taught me to really  learn to just say things.  We should really tell people what matters and why they matter, love others in abundance, serve continually, and thank the Lord for each moment and each blessing.   And that beautiful woman, that precious sister, taught me a new meaning of compassion, and showed me a new side of love.  

And I saw a glimpse of how God's heart breaks for HIS children.

No comments: