Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Another Week...So many more Adventures

It is hard to believe it is already almost February! Time had really been flying here. My father has been taking care of my every need which is amazing. I am learning all the details of culture I need to survive here such as paying bills (quite the process), filtering water, local customs, and the art of driving. My national friends here have been so helpful in language and they really challenge me to learn and use more words everyday. The language time can be long and draining but seeing the smile on the faces of the people as you communicate with them in their heart language is well worth any minor effort it may require. It has been a hard balance as my heart longs to be in the tribes yet my language has to be done in the city. He is expanding my patience and creating opportunities in the city while I am here. I can not explain how wonderful it is to wake up in a place you dreamed of for so many years. I am constantly remind that this dream is living proof of is faithfulness…despite our disobedience, distraction, and even drifting at times, he is so faithful to his promises to us. I think that is what makes my father so lovely in my eyes. I love him more everyday as I reflect on just who he is. I keep you all close to my heart and in my lifted-up thoughts daily. There is never a time that the influence you have each and in my life does not express itself through me…..whether in the compassion you showed me that I now show, the courage you instilled that allows me to be brave in him, or in the hope and encouragement I feel from your faithful thoughts. I can’t wait to hear of all your adventures…update me!!! Until next time enjoy the weekly ridiculous event below!! All my love and thanks, Mica
Me and one of my newfound national friends...she is amazing

The Most Ridiculous Event This Week (This will be the newest weekly addition)
After spending several days not feeling very 100% health-wise I began to feel a lot better. So Wednesday night some teammates and I went to pick up some fellow team members who were flying in from work in another horn country. If you have never been in an African Airport please know that this alone is quite an experience. Lines do not exist here, order is not even in the language (okay it is but not the same meaning). You push your way into the crowd of waiting nationals and then form a solid football stance; feet thoroughly planted in the ground, game face on etc.. Once all three of us were in position other nationals began to come in front of us pushing and shoving. Around the same time the airport guard began pushing everyone to back up. He pushed and hit us and the nationals pushed and hit us (everyone gets hit) yet we stood firm. Once the boys had arrived we drove them home and dropped them off. As we headed back home I began to feel increasingly vomiticious (new word…use it). After about 10 minutes of bumpy road driving I had my roomie pull over. I threw up 6 times on the side of one of the few main roads here. I was shaking and I knew I had little time to make it home. We jumped back in the car and sped off…luckily there are no speed limits here. At the bottom of the hill from where our house is I knew it was over. I jumped out of the car and once more threw-up several times. I marked my territory for the second time that night. I then once again jumped back into the car sped to the house, ran inside, and thanked my father for a toilet. The vomiticious feelings subsided a few days later. But all I could think is thank goodness I am here. I would much rather be sick here than healthy and still in America. Good to know too, I have really seen the community at night up-close…face-to-dirt action J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. African airports. Amen. Any crazy bugs flying all over the place at this one? Love the new word -- hope I don't have to use it any time soon, though. Throwing up 6 times has to be a record or something. Miss you!
- Kelly

kav said...

Hey there beautiful!! Is Africa not amazing? So i heard a rumor that i might get to see you in the fallish'? I would love hugging you!! ha
Anyway know that i am thinking of you and lifting you high to Dad! I miss you and love you SO stinkin much!!
peace
Kav